Welcome to my Studio Blog

Take a peek into my studio and See what inspires me to create my paintings and what’s been happening in my studio and on my travels.

I love to travel, see new places and meet new people. I love to create bold colourful paintings, many of them based on my wonderful travels.



Friday, November 24, 2006

Painting Idea from my trip to Venice

I spent most of my day looking at my pics from our recent Venice trip and doing some sketches for my next painting of Venice. So many pictures I took have a very complicated, canal view perspective and I was not in the mood to start another difficult painting, so I ended up using one of my pictures from my trip to Venice with a frontal view and easy perspective reflecting the many beautiful and interesting buildings in Venice. So After many, many sketches I came up with this rough idea done in water colour pencils.

This painting will be part of my Travel series and painted in my colourful, whimsical, illustrative style. I don't yet have a name for the painting, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

I began drawing the sketch onto my 50 x 60 cn canvas today and then started blocking in some colour for the 1st wash. I will be basically working with 3 colours for the facades: Salomn, yellow orchre, burt sienna with lots of warm and contrasting highlights on all the buidlings. I decided that the step banister from my sketch looked a little wonky so I changed it to a frontal view to fit in better with the overall composition.

The longest part is pretty much done now: blocked in most of all the colours except for the window panes and gondola. Next stage will be to complete those items and then do some modeling work and contrasts.

No comments: